HICKORY, N.C. - A North Carolina man has been charged in a shooting by his child who kicked his gun holster and wounded the child's mother.
The Hickory Daily Record reports 23-year-old A-Duan Namon Walker is charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in the Sept. 5 shooting at Valley Hills Mall in Hickory.
Police Chief Thurman Whisnant said Tuesday that the child kicked the holster while being picked up by Walker, shooting the woman in both feet with a single bullet.
The police chief says the shooting was apparently accidental and the woman was treated.
Two spent shell casings were recovered from the scene. Whisnant says authorities don't know why there were two shell casings, as security video and witness accounts led police to determine only one shot was fired.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Domestic violence suspect arrested after leading police on chase, CMPD says
- DISTRICT 9: Bishop holds onto GOP seat in do-over election
- Father gets 23 years in prison for beating his child to death in Rock Hill
- FORECAST: Another hot day for Charlotte region as heat index nears 100
- People remember learning of 9/11 tragedies with #WhereWereYou
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.