BEAUFORT, N.C. - North Carolina will honor an astronaut killed in the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger with a historic highway marker.
State officials say the dedication ceremony for the marker honoring Mike Smith will be held Friday near the Michael J. Smith Airport in Beaufort.
Smith was born in Beaufort and graduated from Carteret County High School.
He was the pilot of the Challenger space shuttle, which exploded moments after it lifted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in January 1986. All seven astronauts were killed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Dramatic body camera video captures SC deputy saving baby's life
- 'I blacked out': Subway worker says customer punched her in mouth
- Amtrak train collides with tow truck hauling car off tracks in University City
- Charlotte bar sued for unauthorized performance of 'Wonderwall'
- FORECAST: Afternoon storms likely; Barry could become hurricane
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.