Rivera says the 30-year-old quarterback has made "good strides" after suffering a mid-foot sprain in last Thursday night's preseason game against at New England.
Newton threw on the side field Tuesday but did not practice.
Rivera expects Newton will return to practice when the Panthers begin preparations for the opener against the Rams on Sept. 8.
Like the team's other starters, Newton will not play in the final preseason game Thursday night against the Steelers.
In other injury news, starting outside linebacker Bruce Irvin was held out of practice after tweaking his hamstring. Offensive tackle Greg Little, the team's second-round draft pick, remains in the concussion protocol.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFLfootball and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 14 injured after school bus carrying NC high school volleyball team crashes
- Missing Lincolnton teens found safe over a thousand miles away from home
- Prosecutors: Woman, mother-in-law forced girls into prostitution to pay for husband's bail
- FORECAST: One more day of cooler weather before heat, humidity return
- Man found shot to death inside crashed car in northeast Charlotte, police say
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.