ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — A sheriff's office in North Carolina says a 1-year-old girl has died from injuries sustained when she was attacked by her family's dog.
News outlets report the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office was told last week that a 6-year-old pit bull-mix was "slinging the child around in its mouth." The sheriff's office said Monday that Triniti Harrell has since died.
The girl's mother, Miranda Harrell, says she tried to stop the attack by hitting and stabbing the dog, but it had no effect. Sheriff Clee Atkinson says a detective arrived and shot the dog twice. Atkinson says the first shot didn't affect the dog, but the second shot killed it.
Authorities on scene attempted to stabilize Triniti, who was then taken to a hospital.
No charges are expected to be filed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 16-year-old charged with murder in shooting death of classmate at Butler HS
- 'Journey' cassette tape mistaken for suspicious package at Duke Energy building
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Good Samaritan takes school shooting victim's mother to hospital
- Sheriff: North Carolina toddler dies after being attacked by family dog