SHELBY, N.C. - The Denny's restaurant chain wants its customers to know that they can use the bathroom of their gender identity, nationwide, after a transgender woman was arrested this weekend in Shelby.
News outlets said a man called police when the transgender woman used the same bathroom as his wife at a Denny's.
Responding officers informed the man that the 22-year-old transgender woman broke no law. But their dispute escalated, and the transgender woman was charged with disorderly conduct for allegedly spitting toward the man and his family.
A Denny's statement said the company "does not tolerate discrimination of any kind" and expects customers to treat people equally.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Firefighters dodge rockets as stored fireworks explode in Fort Mill
- Fire Marshal: 'Interior gas leak' most likely caused Ballantyne house explosion
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Car plows through I-77 toll-lane barriers
- Woman killed in domestic violence incident worked to empower women
- FORECAST: Toasty temps, scattered storms for Fourth of July
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.