11-year-old girl dead after contracting brain-eating amoeba

11-year-old girl died after contracting brain-eating amoeba

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Hannah Collins, the 11-year-old girl who contracted a brain-eating amoeba last month after a swim in the Edisto River, died Friday night, according to the Post and Courier.

Anderson Funeral Home confirmed the death and will be handling the arrangements.

My beautiful angel Hannah. I feel her with me as I try to go through my day. I pray she gives me the strength to conquer...

Posted by The Warm Water Killer - Remembering Hannah Katherine on Saturday, August 6, 2016
Content Continues Below

Kate Olin said in a statement Thursday on behalf of Hannah Collins' family to The Beaufort Gazette that the family appreciated the tremendous outpouring of love and support they've received.

South Carolina health officials confirmed Tuesday that someone had been exposed to Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

It appeared the Collins was exposed to the amoeba while swimming July 24 in the Edisto River in Charleston County, South Carolina.

The organism, which is naturally present in warm fresh water, can be fatal if forced up the nose.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: