WHITEVILLE, N.C. - An 85-year-old woman with dementia was found alive but dehydrated in North Carolina four days after she went missing in South Carolina.
A caregiver for Jaxie Rogers left the woman in a car Friday while she went inside a grocery store in Latta, South Carolina. The caregiver last saw Rogers driving away at a slow speed.
Utility crews in Columbus County, North Carolina, spotted Rogers' abandoned car on Tuesday near the Lumber River. Sheriff's deputies from two counties then searched for her, finding Rogers in woods about a half mile away. Officials believe she traveled through high water to get to the spot where she was found.
Deputies say Rogers, though dehydrated, was in good spirits. She was checked out at a hospital.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 1 dead, 3 others hospitalized in shooting at uptown apartment building
- Troopers: Wrong-way driver killed on I-485 in west Charlotte
- Fatal crash involving motorcycle blocks Highway 73 in Lincoln County
- FORECAST: Showers return, bringing unseasonably cool temps
- Man missing for two days found in Charlotte hospital's trauma unit
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.