HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - A South Carolina woman is recovering after being bitten by an alligator near her home in Hilton Head Island.
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources spokesman David Lucas tells news outlets that it happened in the Sun City retirement community on Monday night.
Lucas says a 68-year-old woman was walking her dog about 10 p.m. near her house, which is also near several ponds. He says the 8-to-9-foot-long gator bit the woman on the wrist and leg. She was treated at the scene and later transported to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, Georgia.
The dog ran way during the attack and was not harmed.
An alligator control agent was called in and the gator was captured and euthanized.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Amber Alert issued for 3-year-old abducted after woman shot to death
- Man, 2 women found dead following shooting at Hickory apartment
- Accused gang member escapes prison, takes Lyft to family’s Shelby home
- FORECAST: Heat index of at least 100 degrees; afternoon storms likely
- Dirt biker killed in crash, man charged after group of riders attack woman
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.