WASHINGTON — The Department of Defense is taking action after an apparent terrorist hit list was posted online targeting American servicemen.
The names, pictures and home addresses of more than 100 American military members were exposed online. The message was "Kill those listed."
"The homegrown extremists who can be inspired and radicalized over the Internet is what greatly concerns me to greatly inspire to attack our military in the United States -- and I think, unfortunately, it would not be so difficult to pull off," said Rep. Michael McCaul, chair of Homeland Security Committee.
The group behind the list calls itself the Islamic State Hacking Division and claims to represent ISIS. It says the information came from military records, but Pentagon officials say the photos and most of the information are already available in public records and on social media.
"I worry that this increasing sophistication by these Islamic terrorist organizations to manipulate social media to their own ends is a very worrying trend," said Gen. Carter Ham, who is retired from the U.S. Army.
The Department of Defense said it has contacted all of the families listed, most of which are Air Force and Navy. It warns all military members and families to limit what they post on social media, concern remains about how vulnerable they may be.
Moroccan authorities announced Sunday they busted a military network linked to the Islamic state, which had been planning attacks.
WSOC




