CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The American Cancer Society focuses on disease prevention, diagnosis and treatment. But, the non-profit also helps patients with transportation.
The Road to Recovery program schedules volunteers to pick up patients and drive them to and from their doctor's appointments and other treatments.
Without that help, some patients wouldn't be able to get the care they so desperately need.
"A lot of times, they don't have family or friends here," volunteer Susan Beaver said. "A lot of times they have appointments every single day for weeks."
Watch the video above as we learn more about the Road to Recovery program.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- 'We will never forgive him': UNCC shooting suspect pleads guilty to killing 2, injuring 4
- Woman sentenced in fatal car crash in east Charlotte
- Woman found dead inside northwest Charlotte home identified; homicide investigation underway
- FORECAST: Sunshine and slight warmup in store for the weekend
- Show of support expected for cheerleading squad on probation for 'political message'
© 2019 Cox Media Group.