CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Three workers mowing the grass along Interstate 85 in north Charlotte had to be taken to a hospital Monday morning after troopers said they were hit by a car.
The three were rushed to the hospital after police said a woman drove off the southbound ramp from Mallard Creek Church Road to I-85 and hit them.
One worker suffered a broken leg.
Troopers told Channel 9 the woman went off the road and overcorrected but ended up colliding with the workers.
>> Download the WSOCTV news app for your smartphone and get updates on breaking stories as they come in.
Eyewitness News could see the car had heavy front-end damage.
Jessica Bell is engaged to one of the workers.
“It was a little scary because he works on the side of the road all the time, and you never know what can happen,” Bell said.
The men hit by the car work for Dixie Lawn Service and had no comment about the incident. The workers were hired by the state to cut weeds, according to NCDOT.
Investigators said the driver took sleeping pills Monday morning.
She was charged with driving while impaired and failure to maintain lane control.
The driver's name has not been released.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man walking dogs struck, killed by car during hit-and-run in Kannapolis
- Former Catawba Co. sheriff candidate accused of stalking ex pleads guilty
- Missing teen who fell off boat on Mountain Island Lake found dead
- Woman shot to death inside southwest Charlotte hotel; Sunday's 3rd homicide
- FORECAST: Carolina Wedge sees temps tumble before heat returns
© 2019 Cox Media Group.