‘They are my heroes’: Siblings save big brother after allergic reaction to ibuprofen

Brothers save teen who nearly died after allergic reaction to ibuprofen

GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — A local teenager said he took ibuprofen for a headache and it nearly killed him.

“All I could see, in that moment, was blurriness and white,” said Anthony Aguilar, of Gaston County. “It was so bad.”

Aguilar said he took the common over-the-counter medication Tuesday after school. He had no idea he was allergic to the medication.

Content Continues Below

“I really don't remember that much,” he said.

Aguilar’s two younger brothers, Nathaniel and Nicholas, were home with him and realized something was wrong. One of the brothers quickly dialed 911 while the other alerted a neighbor, who happened to have an oxygen mask.

Aguilar said in his time of need, everyone was in the right place.

“They weren't supposed to be here, but somehow they were. If they weren’t here, I wouldn't be here,” he said.

When he regained consciousness in a hospital, Aguilar learned about the seriousness of the drug interaction.

The Aguilar brothers
The Aguilar brothers (WSOC)

“They told me that I was dead, and they did everything they could to revive me and they did,” Aguilar said.

The big brother now has a new admiration for his siblings.

“They are my heroes for sure,” he said.

Breakthrough treatment could help people tolerate foods they're allergic to

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: