‘They are my heroes’: Siblings save big brother after allergic reaction to ibuprofen

GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — A local teenager said he took ibuprofen for a headache and it nearly killed him.

“All I could see, in that moment, was blurriness and white,” said Anthony Aguilar, of Gaston County. “It was so bad.”

Aguilar said he took the common over-the-counter medication Tuesday after school. He had no idea he was allergic to the medication.

“I really don't remember that much,” he said.

Aguilar’s two younger brothers, Nathaniel and Nicholas, were home with him and realized something was wrong. One of the brothers quickly dialed 911 while the other alerted a neighbor, who happened to have an oxygen mask.

Aguilar said in his time of need, everyone was in the right place.

“They weren't supposed to be here, but somehow they were. If they weren’t here, I wouldn't be here,” he said.

When he regained consciousness in a hospital, Aguilar learned about the seriousness of the drug interaction.

“They told me that I was dead, and they did everything they could to revive me and they did,” Aguilar said.

The big brother now has a new admiration for his siblings.

“They are my heroes for sure,” he said.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

'Thank God I’m alive’: FedEx driver survives 75-foot fall from Salisbury bridge

CLOSINGS & DELAYS: CMS dismissing 3 hours early, several districts closed

’We are in a mess’: Meck County considers cutting ties with Cardinal Innovations

TRACKING: Snow will fall in, around Charlotte -- but how much?

Police: Son of former Charlotte mayor caught with stolen gun in car