LENOIR, N.C. - A busy street in downtown Lenoir was closed Monday while police investigated a shooting near the Caldwell County Courthouse.
Officials shut down Main Street near the courthouse around 10:30 a.m. after they said a man was shot in the upper leg.
Police said they identified the suspect as 30-year-old Christopher Bernard Cabinet based on witness statements.
They said Cabinet was taken into custody and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Investigators said the victim was flown to a hospital to be treated for serious injuries.
They believe Cabinet and the victim know each other.
Cabinet is in jail under a $500,000 bond. He's scheduled to be in court July 24.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Person dies after jet ski crash on Lake Norman, officials say
- Crews responding to crash involving NC trooper on motorcycle in west Charlotte
- NC father killed after wave off Oak Island broke neck to donate organs
- FORECAST: Last day of heat wave before cold front, storms move in
- Deputies: 4-wheeler rider shot, killed after reportedly running two people over
© 2019 Cox Media Group.