CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Officials with the Charlotte Area Transit System said they will be making service changes due to NBA All-Star Weekend from Feb. 15-17.
Here are a few of the updates CATS would like riders to be aware of (all updates will be in place from 5 p.m. until the end of the night each day):
- Riders who choose to travel with their personal belongings should put them in a clear bag. Any clear bag is acceptable. This will allow you to re-board LYNX at 3rd or 7th Street Stations after the security sweep and continue your trip through the CTC/Arena Station.
- All riders will be required to get off at 3rd Street or 7th Street Stations where the train will undergo a security sweep.
- Riders with no bags or clear bags will be allowed to get back on and continue their trip.
- Riders with belongings that are not in a clear bag will not be allowed back on and must walk to an open LYNX station to continue.
The Charlotte Transportation Center said it will be relocating to the parking lot across from the 7th Street parking deck.
Along with catching a bus and transferring to other bus routes, CATS said they will provide riders with several amenities, such as pass sales and information, a heated customer waiting area, restrooms and on-site safety and security personnel.
The SouthPark Community Transit Center, located below SouthPark Mall, will be closed and be re-routed to Morrison Boulevard.
The LYNX Blue Line will run every 15 minutes, four hours before the start of the first All-Star event at the Spectrum Center.
CATS said the Blue Line will operate with additional security measures Feb.15-17 beginning at 5 p.m. each day until the end of the night:
- People traveling from I-485 Station to UNC Charlotte Main Station must exit the train at 3rd Street Station.
- People traveling from UNC Charlotte Main Station to I-485 Station must exit the train 7th Street Station.
- After exiting there will be a security sweep of each train.
- Riders will then be able to re-board and continue.
- Purses, backpacks, suitcases, large tote bags or bulky items will not be allowed on board LYNX trains or at station platforms.
LYNX will not stop at the CTC/Arena Station from 5 p.m. till the end of service each night during All-Star Weekend. Riders should catch trains at 3rd Street or 7th Street Stations.
Officials said the CityLYNX Gold Line will not operate Feb. 15-17. Service will be provided via CATS local bus service on routes 9-Central Avenue, 15-Randolph Road, and 27-Monroe Road.
Security will be increased during the weekend. CATS said riders should stay alert and report any suspicious activity by using the CATS See/Say app, calling 911 or notifying on-site safety and security.
All riders must have a valid pass/ticket to ride CATS buses and LYNX trains.
For more information on routes, schedules, and how to ride during All-Star Weekend, visit here.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Video shows 4-year-old girl with autism assaulted on Chesterfield Co. bus
- Wells Fargo reports outages to online, mobile banking apps
- ‘His own little coffin of snow': Teen, parents charged in killing of 7-year-old over Bible verses
- FORECAST: Last mild day before winter returns this weekend
- WATCH: Job candidate chases after stolen BMW during phone interview
© 2019 Cox Media Group.