VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - A 45-year-old Charlotte man riding a motorcycle on Interstate 95 in Florida on Sunday was killed when authorities say he was struck by lightning and crashed.
The Florida Highway Patrol said it happened Sunday afternoon in Volusia County on I-95 southbound.
FHP said after the lightning struck the man's helmet, the motorcycle went off the freeway and overturned, throwing the driver some distance.
The man has not been identified pending notification of his family.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Three dead after car crashes into creek in Lincolnton
- Woman dies after accidentally shooting herself at Ruby Tuesday
- Virginia woman dies while scuba diving at former North Carolina quarry
- FORECAST: Flash flood watch, warnings issued as rain continues to pound region
- Police investigating after two men shot at south Charlotte apartment complex
© 2019 Cox Media Group.