WENDELL, N.C. - Authorities are investigating why a Virginia woman died while scuba diving at a former North Carolina quarry site.
Media organizations report that the woman died Saturday afternoon after swimming to the surface of Mystery Lake Scuba Park and citing breathing problems. The Wake County Sheriff's Office says 49-year-old Rhonda Dalton of Pulaski, Virginia, and her boyfriend were swimming back to shore when Dalton lost consciousness.
Emergency medical workers were unable to revive her.
The former granite quarry about 20 miles east of Raleigh has filled with water since operations ceased more than 60 years ago. Its underwater cliffs, overhangs and fish are now explored by divers.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Three dead after car crashes into creek in Lincolnton
- Woman dies after accidentally shooting herself at Ruby Tuesday
- Virginia woman dies while scuba diving at former North Carolina quarry
- FORECAST: Flash flood watch, warnings issued as rain continues to pound region
- Police investigating after two men shot at south Charlotte apartment complex
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.