CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department said it has charged a man accused of sexually assaulting a teenager in 1995.
Detectives with the Sexual Assault Cold Case Unit have charged 52-year-old Christopher Lynn McNear.
Detectives said the 17-year-old victim was walking home from work on North Tryon Street on July 14, 1995 when a man with a knife grabbed her, forced her behind a business and sexually assaulted her.
Police said a sexual assault kit was collected and tested back in 1995, but additional testing was performed this year as part of a federal grant.
Police said DNA evidence identified McNear as the suspect.
McNear is charged with first-degree rape and first-degree kidnapping. He is already a registered sex offender.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Abducted Rutherford Co. teen found alive 900 miles away; suspect arrested
- 'We are absolutely devastated': Authorities ID body as kidnapped Lumberton teen
- Possible absentee 'irregularities' examined in 9th Congressional District race
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Panthers' Eric Reid says he's being excessively drug tested by NFL
Cox Media Group