'Close friend' accused of killing Harding football player to face judge

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The teen accused of shooting and killing an 18-year-old inside his west Charlotte home early Sunday will face a judge Tuesday.

[IMAGES: Harding University High student shot, killed]

Jamie Bright, who family members said was a football player for Harding University High School, was found in the home on Clanton Road with a gunshot wound around 1 a.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.


Police said 17-year-old Jermarion David Purnell Worthy was at the scene when officers arrived. He was arrested and charged in Bright’s murder.

Police reports say Worthy was the one who made the 911 call.


Channel 9's DaShawn Brown spoke with Bright's sisters, who said he was a member of Harding's 2017 state football championship team.

Bright, who would have been a senior this school year, wore jersey No. 57.

Investigators did not say much about what led up to the shooting but confirmed the two teenagers knew each other.

Bright’s sisters said they were close friends.

“My brother wanted to go to prom with me last year for my senior year and I went by myself,” sister Tynisha Bright said. “If I knew my brother was never going to go to prom, I would've took my brother with me.”

“It's like the good ones always die,” sister Mardesha Bright said. “It's really hard, but I know my family (is) strong, so we're going to get through it.”

The shooter and the victim were in a home together prior to the shooting, according to police.

This is Charlotte's 30th homicide investigation this year.

Bright’s former football coach at Harding, Sam Greiner, said he was the type of player any coach would want.

“I know him for such a great personality,” Greiner said. “He lit up the room and he was so tough and did anything he was asked to do. It's just mindboggling why this is happening.”

Officers said this is the fourth shooting investigation in less than 12 hours, between 7 p.m. Saturday and 1 a.m. Sunday.

CMPD initially responded to reports of a home being shot into around 7 p.m. Saturday, resulting in a dog being shot.

While on the scene, an officer was attacked by a dog and the officer shot the dog.

The third shooting resulted in a 6-year-old girl being shot after a gunman fired into a home.

The girl and both dogs are alive and expected to be okay, police say.

This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information. 

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: