CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A west Charlotte strip mall is an institution along West Boulevard, but police said it’s also a magnet for crime.
“We had a homicide and shooting up here,” said Sgt. Mike Sullivan with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
Last month, police investigated the murder of Antonio Kirkpatrick.
Business owners nearby said they are sick of the violence that has plagued the area for years. Police said most of it is fueled by drugs.
"You just have to keep fighting, because you don't see it slow down unless you drive through and get out of your car,” Sullivan said.
The Westover Division’s Crime Reduction Unit is working to fight the drugs and crime.
>> In the video at the top of this page, Channel 9’s Glenn Counts rode along with officers to get a firsthand look at how they're trying to reduce crime.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Charlotte woman, girlfriend of NFL player killed in Ohio car crash
- Video from inside VA hospital shows what led up to veteran's death
- Citizens Review Board chair accused of sexually assaulting 2 girls over 22-year span
- FORECAST: Heat index close to 100 degrees before 'cool down' arrives
- Two earthquakes recorded hours apart rattle North Carolina mountains
© 2019 Cox Media Group.