CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police are trying to find the man who broke into an east Charlotte home early Thursday morning and attacked a woman inside.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department responded to a home on Briarhill Drive around 4:30 a.m.
Police said the man broke into the house through an unlocked window and attacked the 38-year-old woman inside.
According to CMPD, the man attempted to sexually assault the victim and punched, kicked and stabbed her in the arm before running away.
Officers believe the person responsible is the same man wanted in a string of home break-ins six weeks ago.
"I haven't heard anything about that," neighbor Angela Johnson said. "I didn't even know anything about that because usually, it's quiet over here."
The first case started back in May and police believe the suspect is connected to a total of five home invasions targeting homes in east Charlotte.
"We have someone out there that is going into houses where people are asleep," CMPD Capt. Rob Dance said.
We spoke to one of the victims whose house was broken into last month.
"I don't know what was going through my head. I was terrified," he said.
Channel 9 was there as dozens of officers set up a perimeter and used K-9s to search for the man Thursday morning in east Charlotte.
Neighbors we spoke with were shocked by what happened.
“Something needs to be done about that. Like I said, we don’t have any problems on the street. I hope she gets better soon, and I’m praying for her and her family,” Johnson said.
Officials said the victim was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, and has since been released.
Nearly all the cases have the same things in common.
Police said the suspect, who was wearing a mask, broke in through a window while people were sleeping, and in some cases, he knew they were home.
Investigators said they are even more concerned because the suspect was never violent until the most recent case.
No arrests have been made.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Cox Media Group