MOORE COUNTY, N.C. — An 11-year-old Moore County girl who disappeared from home Thursday night was found safe thanks to a drone, officials said.
Deputies said they spent 45 minutes combing through the woods in search of Kaniya Chambers before calling in Lt. Tim Davis to assist with a drone.
After 15 minutes of flying, the drone’s heat sensor was able to find Kaniya, authorities said.
“They passed by her to start with because she was hid under some limbs,” Davis said. “And she's only 11 years old. She was so small, so they didn't see her with flashlights.”
The Moore County Sheriff's Office started its drone program last year, officials said. Since then, it has added six drones to its fleet.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman whose bones were found in home's walls likely fell to death through attic floor, police say
- Hit-and-run leads to 4 arrests, shootout at UNCC campus, officials say
- 14-year-old armed robbery suspect arrested after pursuit, school lockdowns
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Saturday forecast outlook
- FINAL CRUSADE: Rev. Graham's children carry on his holy message
Cox Media Group