CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The developer of the Eastland Mall is laying out major plans for the site in east Charlotte.
The developer said Wednesday night at a public meeting that it's planning housing, a sports complex, shops and restaurants for where the mall once stood.
The developer is discussing plans with six grocery stores and home builders, along with FC Barcelona about a potential soccer academy.
Charlotte City Councilman Matt Newton, D-District 5, said the project will be transformational for the city's future.
“The Eastland site is the linchpin for our future here in east Charlotte,” Newton said. “There is no doubt about it. If we get Eastland right, we have a brighter future.”
Construction could begin in late 2020 if everything goes as planned.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: Woman spiked fiancée's soda with eye drops, inspired by movie
- 2 kids found dead inside burned home identified; search for mom's body continues
- Woman sues ex-girlfriend claiming she stole her winning lottery ticket
- FORECAST: Afternoon downpours likely as warm, muggy air settles in
- Former driver sues reality TV stars after alleged assault outside Charlotte nightclub
Cox Media Group