HAYWOOD COUNTY, N.C. - A large bull elk got tangled in a hammock hanging in a tree at a Haywood County home Thanksgiving morning, WLOS reported.
Homeowner Jim Beaver said there is a hammock hanging in their apple tree and when he woke up, he found the elk.
Beaver said he called the Sheriff's Office but was told the wildlife officer was out of town. Two deputies showed up later to help get the elk untangled.
Deputies said they were able to crawl up on a roof next to the tree to cut the elk free.
Beaver said this wasn't the first time he has seen elk in his backyard playing with the hammock.
“They can be really quiet; we often will be sitting on the porch and look up and see four to six of them having quietly wandered in the yard to eat apples,” Beaver said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Person shot after argument at northwest Charlotte club, police say
- Stores placed on lockdown after fights break out at Carolina Place Mall
- 9-year-old boy accidentally killed by father while hunting in SC, officials say
- Contracted Santa worker says negative criticism was racially driven
- Popular NoDa restaurants now taking reservations, for a price
© 2019 Cox Media Group.