ARCHDALE, N.C. — Fire ants attacked a North Carolina woman and nearly killed her.
Donna Kearns was landscaping her yard in Archdale over the weekend when her weed eater hit an ant pile.
The pile exploded, and ants started crawling and biting Kearns all over her body.
Moments later, she had a severe allergic reaction from the attack, started feeling sick and collapsed.
Kearns could have died from the reaction, but a stranger saw her and stopped to help.
"She got my husband to the door and she said I think this is your wife laying out in the yard," said Kearns.
The stranger did not want to go on camera, but said she's glad she was in the right place at the right time.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I couldn't see him anywhere': Father of missing boy discusses moments after son vanished
- Fire ants attack, nearly kill NC woman
- Adoptive brother of Erica Parsons charged with bigamy
- WATCH: John Ahrens' Wednesday forecast outlook
- Speed believed to be a factor in crash that killed teen, troopers say
Cox Media Group