CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The counting of more ballots in an extremely close North Carolina legislative race now has the daughter of a former governor leading a chairman of a powerful House committee.
Democrat Rachel Hunt is 64 votes ahead of Republican Rep. Bill Brawley (19,102 to 19,038).after more absentee ballots received by Mecklenburg County were counted Friday. Brawley had a 52-vote lead after election night. Provisional and more absentee ballots will be counted next week.
Hunt and Brawley competed in one of this fall's most expensive and prominent legislative races. Hunt's father is four-term Gov. Jim Hunt. Brawley is a top leader on the House Finance Committee.
Democrats won at least eight additional House seats Tuesday, ending the GOP's veto-proof majority in the chamber. Republicans still will have the most seats.
If there is a tie, there will be another election.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Rocky River HS athlete killed in crash along Lawyers Road in Mint Hill
- Rivera tells Panthers to get away from football after loss to Steelers
- DNA links man to crime at local hospital to shooting in Florida
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- DAY 6: FBI offers $20K reward in case of kidnapped Lumberton teen
© 2019 Cox Media Group.