Judge changes mind, gives bond to man accused in school shooting threat

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — It took a judge less than two hours to change his mind about a Huntersville man's bond after he was accused of threatening to shoot up a school.

Michael Wallace Buck was originally given a $1 million bond after being charged with threatening to carry out a school shooting.

During his first court appearance Friday afternoon, a judge released him on a promise to appear in court.

Eyewitness News reporter Glenn Counts was in the courtroom when the decision was made. Counts said Buck's parents appeared to be upset by the judge's decision.

Court documents showed Huntersville police have been to their home on several occasions, including one time when Buck tried to stab his father with a kitchen knife. Both of his parents were very afraid of him, documents said.

"Are you worried that you won't be safe?" Counts asked Buck's father after the court appearance.

"Yes," Christopher Buck answered.

The district attorney's office intervened and convinced a judge to give Buck a $50,000 secured bond.

Court documents showed Buck's parents were the ones that turned him in to police about the school shooting threat.

Michael Wallace Buck (image courtesy Huntersville Police Department)

"Our children, our schools are very special to us. Anyone hears rumors on things like that please let your local police department know. People's interactions and interdictions could save lives over the long run," Huntersville police Major Barry Graham said.

Buck has a history of drug and alcohol abuse and schizophrenia, according to a search warrant. Court documents showed Buck's father tried to get him involuntarily committed on numerous occasions, but he would always get released within 48 hours and returned more disturbed than when he left.

"We believe we can get him the help he needs. Situations like this we take very serious," Graham said.

Police haven't said what school was threatened but did say it was not a Charlotte-Mecklenburg public school. Police have not said how the threat was made.

Huntersville police sources said Buck did not have a gun and as far as they knew, he did not try to obtain a firearm.

Huntersville police reached out to the FBI for assistance in the matter, but the FBI said their hands are tied and there's not much they can do until Buck actually commits the crime.

An FBI spokesperson said the agency assisted but it was limited on how much it could help because Buck did not violate a federal law.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: