CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Lane closures will impact uptown drivers starting Monday as crews begin construction on protected bike lanes on East 6th and 7th streets.
The bike lanes will connect the Little Sugar Creek Greenway and the Irwin Creek Greenway.
Officials said they hope to have phase one completed by "Bike Charlotte," a 17-day festival for bicyclists that will start on April 26.
The second phase should be done in 2021.
This plan has been in the works for years as the city did a test run of the bike lanes in 2017.
They blocked off what would be the bike lane for seven days to see if it would work and where it would work best.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- American Airlines to cancel 90 flights a day after Boeing 737 Max planes grounded
- Police investigating homicide after man shot multiple times in southwest Charlotte
- NC Lottery: $1M ticket sold at Gaston Co. mini mart; Powerball jumps to $750M
- FORECAST: Clear skies, sunshine to last through weekend before rainy Monday
- Woman sues franchisee after viral video shows Concord Subway worker hitting, cursing at her
© 2019 Cox Media Group.