CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man accused of killing a high school student over $40 was sentenced to 22 years in prison.
Dionte Hunter, a teenager who attended Garinger High School, was shot and killed when he met Steven Black for a drug deal off McMullen Way in southeast Charlotte in July 2017.
Hunter’s mother said the sentence isn’t long enough.
Black walked into a courtroom filled with deputies and Hunter’s family members on Thursday.
He admitted killing Hunter, who played basketball at Garinger.
- [PHOTOS: Teenage boy shot inside car near Monroe Road]
- Man charged with shooting, killing Garinger HS student, basketball player
- Slain teen had prior conviction for promoting prostitution
Black, who was 20 at the time of the killing, pleaded guilty and faced Hunter’s family.
“All for what? Forty dollars? You took my son's life away for 40 damn dollars,” said Autumn Conley, Hunter’s mother.
Conley fought back tears, and his aunt told Black he has no clue who the real Dionte was or how much it hurt to lose him.
“That night you took a piece of our souls away,” Ikeshia Taylor, Hunter’s aunt, said. “You made it so our days will never shine as bright, and you put a hole in our heart that will never heal.”
Black’s family members were sitting behind him in the courtroom.
They didn’t address the judge, but defense attorney Dean Loven said Black has taken responsibility for the shooting from the beginning.
“They have a young man who is now doing many years in prison,” Loven said. “This is a very hard thing for them to deal with as well.”
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Atrium Health, feds settle antitrust lawsuit over health care costs
- Missing Mooresville teacher killed in Mexico, according to Facebook post
- Toppled tree blocks Providence Road 'indefinitely' in south Charlotte
- WINTER STORM WARNING: Wintry mix hits mountains; cold rain across Charlotte
- 12-year-old writes heartbreaking goodbye letter to family during school lockdown
- Death investigation underway after man found dead inside car in east Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.