VANCE COUNTY, N.C. — Family members of a 6-year-old North Carolina boy are mourning after they say a brick mantel fell on him as he reached for a toy.
Jayden Baskerville died late Saturday afternoon after being crushed by a shelf and mantel inside his home just outside of Henderson.
Jayden's great-grandmother, Shirley Venable, broke down the moment Jayden's mother found him after the collapse to Channel 9's news partners at WTVD.
"She heard the 'bam bam.' And when she ran into the living room, everybody was in shock because that big brick was on his head and on his chest," said Venable.
Venable said Jayden was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a nearby hospital.
"His father said he told him, 'Daddy, I can't breathe. Daddy, I can't breathe. And his daddy said he's just torn to pieces because when he said, 'I can't breathe,' blood started gushing up from out of his mouth," Venable said.
"He's the oldest of the siblings, so all the siblings look up to him. And the two little sisters -- 'my brother, my brother.' They all looked up to Jayden. He's very smart, and the teachers speak so highly of him," Venable said.
The family had been living in the home for a few weeks after their previous home suffered smoke damage from a fire. Jayden's mother told WTVD that after initially receiving assistance from the Red Cross, the landlord of the first house said the family could move into the new home.
The Vance County Sheriff's Office is investigating the case.
© 2020 WSOC