CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are investigating after four people were thrown from their vehicle during a deadly crash on Brookshire Boulevard early Sunday morning.
The single-car wreck happened around 2:45 a.m. near Beatties Ford Road and Interstate 77.
CMPD said their investigation revealed a 2019 Audi Q5 was speeding on Brookshire Boulevard when it crashed into the grass median and flipped.
The driver and three passengers were ejected from the car during the crash.
Authorities said Christian Keon Lanier, 21, died at the scene and MEDIC transported three others to the hospital, two of which were in critical condition.
Police said excessive speed played a part in the crash, drug use is suspected, and none of the people in the car were wearing seat belts.
Outbound Brookshire Boulevard near Beatties Ford and I-77 was shut down for hours while officers finished their investigation.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 2 killed, 1 seriously injured in shooting at southeast Charlotte apartment complex
- Police: Excessive speed, drug use factors in deadly west Charlotte crash
- WWE wrestler Jeff Hardy charged with public intoxication in Myrtle Beach
- FORECAST: Heat, humidity continues; previews another steamy week ahead
- Suspect turned away from jail because of wheelchair taken into custody
© 2019 Cox Media Group.