STATESVILLE, N.C. - Statesville's Planning Board approved a recommendation Monday to allow Gander RV to legally fly its American flag.
According to Channel 9 news partner The Statesville Record & Landmark, the planning board voted 5-0 to approve the code change to allow for Gander's 40-by-80 foot flag.
The CEO of Gander's parent company Camping World, Marcus Lemonis, had kept flying the flag despite Statesville announcing earlier this year it intended to fine the company for each day it flew the flag in violation of city code.
The city would later back down.
- 'The flag is not coming down': Camping World CEO rallies employees
- Change would allow huge flag to keep flying at Statesville RV dealership
- The big flag might stay; 'The Profit' might not go to jail
- RV dealership flies huge American flag on Memorial Day as fines mount
- City ordinance won't allow giant American flag to be flown over Statesville Camping World
- Camping World CEO blasts Statesville council, vows flag 'isn't coming down'
The Record & Landmark reported that despite the unanimous vote, some members of the planning board were not happy with how the situation played out.
Board member Todd Lange said Gander's flying of the flag was as much about advertising as it was patriotism.
Lemonis has denied those charges.
The CEO also said in a visit to the Gander RV location late last month, that he was not interested in the city's compromise to change the code. He said he wants any business or individual to be free to fly any size flag.
The board did place stipulations on the decision, saying the business needs to follow federal guidelines for the care and management of the flag. It also added engineering requirements for the flag pole.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Stanly Co. sheriff: Suspect charged after 19-year-old woman dies from severe beating
- Some residents along Catawba River begin to evacuate homes as rain continues
- 'I heard my wife screaming': Tree crushes west Charlotte home, traps nearby residents
- FORECAST: Flood threat remains as Charlotte region enters day 4 of rain
- Car show participants have cars stolen from hotel parking lot in north Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.