CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Officials said a minivan crashed into a home Thursday morning after trying to pass traffic in front of a north Charlotte elementary school.
According to police, there was a line of vehicles, including a school bus waiting to get into Windsprings Elementary School on Horrace Mann Road when the driver of the minivan tried to drive around the traffic.
[PHOTOS: Van crashes into house in north Charlotte neighborhood]
While driving in the wrong lane, police said the minivan driver's view was blocked by the school bus, causing the van to collide with a pickup truck that was making a left turn.
“It just shocked me. I don't know why they would just want to come around the traffic and the bus. All the traffic would have stopped,” said Terrance Adams, the driver of the pickup truck.
The van then crashed into a home on Lakota Court.
No one inside the house was hurt, but fire officials said the home is no longer safe to live in.
The minivan driver was taken to a hospital with injuries but is expected to make a full recovery.
Police said the driver is not facing charges at this point.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Massive water main break in York County
- Deputies identify woman found burned in Chester County ditch
- AMBER ALERT: 3-year-old girl reportedly taken from Greensboro playground
- FORECAST: Sunny skies and mild temps ahead of weekend rain chance
- Van slams into house after trying to pass school bus, CMPD says
Cox Media Group