CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte is known throughout the country for its trees.
They’re a point of pride for Carolinians, but can also provide health and safety benefits, preventing what’s known as the urban heat island effect.
>> Meteorologist Jaclyn Shearer explains what that means and what’s threatening our tree canopy in the video at the top of this page.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police release names of victims, robber in deadly Steak 'n Shake shooting
- Agents seize 35 pounds of marijuana from luggage at Charlotte Douglas
- South Charlotte residents spooked after seeing man filming homes
- FORECAST: Muggy, humid conditions remains despite 'cooler temps'
- Officers remove more than 200 pets from North Carolina home
© 2019 Cox Media Group.