CHARLOTTE, N.C. — While crime statistics are certainly a factor in determining which cities are safe places to live, personal finance website WalletHub goes further with its latest ranking, taking into account natural disaster risks, financial pitfalls and more.
Charlotte, with an overall score of 77.46, ranks No. 54 on the list of 182 cities nationwide.
By comparison, Columbia, Maryland, ranked as the safest locale, carries a score of 85.98, while the lowest-ranked city, St. Louis, scored 44.47.
Across the Carolinas, Winston-Salem ranked as the safest city, while Charleston, South Carolina, trails the bunch. Check out this photo gallery above to see how other cities in the two states stacked up.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman says she was nearly abducted at QT near Carowinds
- Sheriff: SC woman shoots, kills escaped inmate who kicked in her door
- Second woman claims she was paid to pick up ballots in U.S. House District 9 race
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- WATCH: Video shows big rig zoom past school bus letting kids off