CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Frigid weather has led to more closures on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
A "real-time" map showed Wednesday most of the parkway through North Carolina and Virginia was closed. A Facebook post said snow and ice forced the park to close the Craggy Gardens area to vehicles. The area was still accessible by foot.
Parkway officials said people venturing out should expect extreme cold and sub-zero wind chill.
The latest closures follow the National Park Service announcement that 100 miles of parkway was closed due to ice and rain which saturated soil and caused trees to fall.
Also, the North Carolina State Park system said on Twitter Wednesday that Mount Mitchell State Park was closed because of snow on N.C. 128 iced over from the parkway to the summit.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Abducted Rutherford Co. teen found alive 900 miles away; suspect arrested
- 'We are absolutely devastated': Authorities ID body as kidnapped Lumberton teen
- Possible absentee 'irregularities' examined in 9th Congressional District race
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Panthers' Eric Reid says he's being excessively drug tested by NFL
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.