GREENVILLE, S.C. — A South Carolina police department is promoting safety tips for online daters after recent meetings turned into criminal cases.
The Greenville News reports that the warnings from the Greenville Police Department follow three separate incidents.
Police incident reports indicate two cases are believed to be linked to the same individuals. In each instance, a man met a woman using the mobile dating app Plenty of Fish. In each of the July 16 incidents, the men went to a designated meeting point, only to be assaulted and robbed by two to three other men.
The third case involved a man picking up another man he had just met on the dating app Grindr. Police said the victim passed out at some point and later determined that he had been raped.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Authorities investigating small plane crash in Lincoln County
- Massive trees block portions of busy roadways across Charlotte
- One suspect arrested, charged in 2 Charlotte area bank robberies
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Medical examiner to determine cause of death after body found in woods