YORK, S.C. - A former York County deputy has avoided prison time after agreeing to plead guilty to paying for sex with a woman who also was wanted on criminal charges.
Christopher Gage pleaded guilty Thursday to misconduct in office and was sentenced to three years of probation. As part of the plea deal, prosecutors say he agreed to give up his law enforcement certification and never work as an officer in South Carolina again.
Authorities say the 37-year-old Gage was on duty, in uniform and in his patrol car when he had sex with the woman several times between October and December 2017.
Prosecutors say the woman was wanted on larceny charges, but Gage did not arrest her.
Gage faced up to a year in prison on the misconduct in office charge.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Former SC deputy gets no prison time for sex while on duty, in uniform
- Student charged after video captures 'disturbing' attack at York County school
- 2 charged in connection with Stanly County meth bust
- FORECAST: Heavy downpours continue Saturday as stronger system pushes into area
- Several managers sue Mooresville-based Lowe's, claim 'illegal pay practices'
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.