FORT MILL, S.C. - South Carolina police are accusing a father with child deprivation and neglect for withholding his 8-year-old daughter's hearing aid for more than two months.
Channel 9's partners at The Herald reported that 29-year-old Jerimahah Cory Martin of York was charged along with his girlfriend, 28-year-old Joy Glenn of Rock Hill.
Police said the girl uses hearing aids in both ears, but one was withheld. Officers said lacking the second hearing aid risked affecting the girl's speech and awareness, as well as her hearing.
Deputies were alerted earlier this month when the girl's biological mother told officers the $1,800 hearing aid was being kept from the child.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Sale of Charlotte-based Snyder's-Lance snack company to close Monday
- CMPD: Woman punched, pulled from SUV at south Charlotte McDonald's
- Boy, 4, killed after being mauled by family dog
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- 4 developers will present ideas to revitalize old Eastland Mall site
- Fort Mill dad withheld hearing aid from 8-year-old daughter, police say
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.