CHARLOTTE, N.C. — In 2001, former Carolina Panther Rae Carruth was found guilty of conspiring to murder his then-girlfriend Cherica Adams, who was pregnant with his child.
Jan. 20, 1974: Rae Lamar Wiggins, later known as Rae Carruth, was born in Sacramento.
1997: Rae Carruth was the Carolina Panthers' first-round NFL draft choice.
Nov. 16, 1999: Cherica Adams and Carruth were on a date in Charlotte when she was shot four times by a hit man hired by Carruth. She called 911 and said Carruth stopped his car in front of her vehicle. Another vehicle pulled up next to Adams' and the passenger shot her. Carruth fled the scene.
Adams was nearly eight months pregnant with Carruth’s child. She went into a coma at Carolinas Medical Center-Main, and doctors delivered their son, Chancellor Lee Adams.
Dec. 14, 1999: Cherica died at CMC-Main.
Jan. 19, 2001: Carruth was convicted in a jury trial in Charlotte of conspiracy to commit murder. He was acquitted of a first-degree murder charge.
Jan. 22, 2001: Carruth was sentenced to 18-24 years in prison.
February 2011: A federal appeals court rejected a new trial for Carruth.
July 2011: The driver who was involved in the Carruth murder case was released from prison. Michael Kennedy, 35, spent 11 years and nine months in a Raleigh prison for his role in the murder.
Oct. 2015: Carruth moved to Tyrell Prison Work Farm, a minimum-custody facility in Columbia, North Carolina.
February 2018: Carruth wrote a 15-page letter to Saundra Adams, the mother of Cherica Adams. Carruth accepted responsibility for his involvement in Cherica's murder. Carruth said in a letter to local media that he would not seek custody of Chancellor.
Oct. 22, 2018: Carruth is expected to be released from Samson Correction Institute.
- Appeals Court Rejects New Trial For Former Panthers Player Carruth
- Driver In Carruth Murder Case Released From Prison
- RAE CARRUTH IN JAIL: Rae Carruth's attorney shares new details
- VIDEO: Rae Carruth's attorney releases new details about death of pregnant girlfriend
- Rae Carruth moved to lighter-security prison in NC
- Carolina Panther Rae Carruth letter
- Ex-Panther Rae Carruth takes back word on pursuing relationship with son
- When Rae Carruth is set free, son he ordered dead may be at prison gates
- Saundra Adams receives special honor for helping domestic violence victims
- Saundra Adams looks forward to Rae Carruth's release from prison
- EXCLUSIVE: Saundra, Chancellor Adams' new mission helps change lives
- Judge to decide if Carruth is eligible for change in custody level
- Ex-NFL player Carruth apologizes for role in shooting death
- Rae Carruth's son to celebrate late mother's birthday
- 15 years later: Rae Carruth's teenage son
- Rae Carruth's son turns 16
- IMAGES: Chancellor Adams, son of Rae Carruth, celebrates birthday
- Former Panther Rae Carruth's son celebrates 17th birthday
- IMAGES: Son of Rae Carruth honored at Monroe High School
- AGAINST ALL ODDS: Chancellor Lee Adams turns 18
Cox Media Group