Big news for all you sports car fans - the 2022 Toyota GR 86 has finally been revealed! This fan favorite was redesigned inside, out, and under the hood for the 2022 model year, and while it won’t be at Toyota of North Charlotte until later this year, we DO have the details on what it’ll have to offer you if you climb into the driver’s seat. Check it out!
The second generation of the 2022 Toyota GR 86 has been unveiled
As in the past, Toyota chose to make this one a collaboration. They worked with Subaru to redesign this icon and the new Toyota GR 86 is almost identical to the new Subaru BRZ (save the front grille and a few minor engineering points). It’ll even feature some of Subaru’s unique features, like EyeSight Driver Assist technology, which showcases emergency rescue support, secondary collision avoidance, and pre-collision technology.
Here’s what you can expect when you put the all-new N Charlotte Toyota GR 86 in your driveway later this year:
- A new look inside and out. It’s sleeker, curvier, and almost reminiscent of the original Toyota Celica (!!).
- A new engine. The 2.0L flat-four has been enlarged to a 2.4L flat four, which gives you more horsepower AND torque. You’ll get 232 horsepower (compared to 205 horsepower) and 184 lb-ft of torque (versus the old 156 lb-ft of torque).
- More speed. This new Toyota sports car gets from 0-62 mph in 6.3 seconds, which is a big upgrade from the prior time of 7.4 seconds.
- It’s roughly the same size as the prior generation. Its wheelbase is slightly longer and it sits a little bit lower to the ground (which lowers your center of gravity and gives you improved handling), but otherwise, it’s the same size.
- The roof and fender panels are made of aluminum to lower the overall body weight, and the seats and muffler have been updated to be lighter.
- It will be available in a six-speed automatic and a six-speed manual transmission.
- Torsional rigidity has been enhanced by 50%, which means improved handling.
- The interior is supposed to be more driver-centric and horizontally-aligned both for ergonomics and comfort. It’ll also feature a 7” digital information screen and an 8” touchscreen entertainment system.
Toyota of N Charlotte can get you behind the wheel
Like we said, it won’t arrive at Toyota of N Charlotte until later this year, but you can call us for more info OR to take the current generation for a test drive. We’re open seven days a week at (704) 875-9199.
Cox Media Group