CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police have identified the man shot and killed while driving in Mint Hill last Saturday evening.
The shooting happened on Margaret Wallace Road in Mint Hill and the victim, Keith Samuels, drove to Bathhurst Drive, according to police.
Detectives initially said they received a call regarding a motor vehicle crash. Officials said when officers arrived on scene they found an SUV collided with a parked vehicle near an apartment complex off Idelwild Road.
Officers said they found Samuels suffering from an apparent gunshot wound inside the SUV.
MEDIC said Samuels was transported to CMC, where he was later pronounced dead.
Police have not said what led to the shooting, but are interviewing witnesses.
"We do have several witnesses down at the law enforcement center now that are currently speaking to homicide detectives," CMPD Major Ryan Butler said.
The Mint Hill Police Department took over the case later Saturday night.
Officials also have not released how many people were in the car at the time of the shooting.
No other information has been released.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Multiple people arrested for 'driving erratically' on ATVs, dirt bikes across Charlotte
- CMPD investigating after man shot, killed in parking lot near south Charlotte club
- CMPD: Man fatally shot after punching woman in face, jumping onto car hood
- FORECAST: Chilly, wet weather to last through remainder of All-Star Weekend
- Police investigating after man dies following shooting, car crash in southeast Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.