CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police said an early morning water main break caused a pileup on a busy east Charlotte road.
The busted water main created a sheet of ice that covered the asphalt on Eastway Drive between Sugar Creek Road and The Plaza.
Channel 9 crews were the first on scene and saw an accident involving four to five vehicles that were damaged.
Charlotte Water officials told Channel 9 they were working on repairs to the water main and will have Eastway closed in both directions for at least six hours.
At least 20 homes in the area were also without water while repairs were being made.
Check back for updates on this story at wsoctv.com.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man arrested after woman stabbed inside Charlotte Amazon facility
- Police: Man, ailing wife had ‘death party,' used meth for days before she died
- Shootout outside South End McDonald's sends one to hospital, police say
- TRACKING: Winds die down but frigid temps linger ahead of weekend warm-up
- 3-year-old boy to undergo forensic exam week after being found in NC woods
© 2019 Cox Media Group.