CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police said they have arrested the driver who ran from the scene of a deadly crash Friday night in west Charlotte.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said they have charged 49-year-old Vonda Patterson Steward with felony hit-and-run, misdemeanor death by vehicle, driving while license revoked, registration violation, inspection violation, and safe movement violation.
(Vonda Patterson Steward)
Officers responded around 11 p.m. to the accident on West Boulevard, west of Clanton Road.
Officers said they found a motorcycle and Ford Fusion that had been involved in the crash, and the motorcyclist was lying in the road. MEDIC arrived on scene and pronounced the motorcyclist dead.
Investigators determined the motorcyclist was speeding east on West Boulevard when the Ford Fusion, traveling west, tried to make a left turn from the left lane into a parking lot. The motorcycle then hit the Ford Fusion and the rider was thrown from the bike.
CMPD later identified the rider as 40-year-old Daryl Lamont Miller.
Witnesses told officers that Steward, who they said was driving the Ford Fusion, ran from the scene.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police swarm Harding University High School parking lot after large fight
- Police search for driver they say ran from deadly crash scene in west Charlotte
- Crews search Lake Wylie after finding missing woman's car in marina parking lot
- FORECAST: Clear skies, sunshine to last through weekend
- Sheriff: Dispatchers mishandled call after SC woman attacked, killed by two dogs
Cox Media Group