The track said Sunday that the 66-year-old Davis, from Suwanee, Georgia, had completed a final qualifying run in the PDRA Spring Nationals when his 1963 Corvette turned left and shot across the track in front rival Mark Malcuit's car. Davis' car cleared the right-side guardwall and barrel-rolled.
Davis was taken to Moore County Regional Hospital in Pinehurst and later to UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
Davis was a five-time IHRA season champion. Early in his career, he was almost unbeatable at Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway, where he earned his nickname by dominating a competition called "King of the Hill."
He owned Davis Golf Carts in Suwanee.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Will Smith shooting: 5 things we know now
- Police: Driver reached speeds of 110 mph before slamming into DOT truck
- Ronnie "The King" Davis dies after crash at Rockingham Dragway
- Speed a factor in crash that killed woman in Union Co., troopers say
- Troopers: I-485 shut down for hours after woman hit, killed
- NC transgender law supporters, opponents to rally at state Capitol
© 2018 Cox Media Group.