• Teen charged after 16-year-old shot, killed in northwest Charlotte home

    By: Anthony Kustura

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A teenager has been charged in the killing of a 16-year-old who was fatally shot two months ago inside a northwest Charlotte house.

    [PREVIOUS COVERAGE: ‘He deserves better': 16-year-old shot in head was innocent victim, CMPD chief says]

    Cameron Terrell Holden, 16, was charged Wednesday with murder and eight counts of shooting into an occupied property.

    Channel 9 was there as Holden was walked into police headquarters. 

    Officers said Jayvon Goolsby was found shot in the head while sleeping on a couch in a house on Ohaus Court near Sunset Road in early June.

    Jayvon Goolsby
    Jayvon Goolsby

    (Jayvon Goolsby)

    "I don't want anybody vilifying his character,” CMPD Chief Kerr Putney said back when the crime happened. “He was not that kind of kid. By all indications, he appears to be a very good kid. The 16-year-old’s life was cut too short."

    Police said they don't know why the home was targeted and that Goolsby was an innocent victim. They have not said if Goolsby and Holden knew each other.

    Goolsby was a sophomore at Hopewell High School and only had a few days left of the school year before he was killed.

    Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or visit the Crime Stoppers website.

    This is an ongoing investigation.

    A new initiative

    CMPD recently announced a new initiative to address gun violence across Charlotte.

    The task force is made up of 10 people, which includes representatives from several departments including the gang, firearms and crime analysis units.

    There’s a strong focus on teens and preventing them from gaining access to guns.

    “We’re seeing young people settling disputes, very minor disputes, with guns, and that is certainly troubling to us,” CMPD Maj. Alan Rutledge said.

    The intended targets are often not the only victims in shootings, police said.

    CMPD has made 10,000 arrests so far in 2019 and seized more than 1,200 guns.

    The new initiative doesn’t replace any current programs, but it adds to some other tactics in place to help stop the problem.

    The task force encompasses the entire city and focuses on people, not particular locations. The hope is that the new task force can shift the violent culture in Charlotte. 

    Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.

    Next Up: