WINGATE, N.C. - Channel 9 has reached out to town leaders in Wingate to find out why they asked the police chief to resign.
Chief Donnie Gay said he didn't want to leave, but town leaders gave him the option to resign with a severance package.
Gay said they didn't tell him why.
He has been with the department for 11 years, serving as chief for the last six years.
Eyewitness News reached out to the town's interim manager but he has not responded.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 1 dead, 3 others hospitalized in shooting at uptown apartment building
- Troopers: Wrong-way driver killed on I-485 in west Charlotte
- Fatal crash involving motorcycle blocks Highway 73 in Lincoln County
- FORECAST: Showers return, bringing unseasonably cool temps
- Man missing for two days found in Charlotte hospital's trauma unit
© 2019 Cox Media Group.