WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A North Carolina day care center is closing after five of its toddlers escaped and wandered near a major road.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports that officials at Pinedale Christian Day Care have informed the state Child Development and Early Education division that it's closing in three weeks.
State Health and Human Services spokeswoman Sarah Lewis Peel said the decision was made voluntarily by the day care, which operates inside Pinedale Christian Church.
Winston-Salem police said the five children were supposed to be at the day care last Dec. 4 when they were spotted walking into traffic on a busy road.
An officer and some motorists gathered them up and took them to safety.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Horrified NC mom watches son, boyfriend drown as rip current drags them out to sea
- 1 killed, 2 others injured when car slams into pole on I-77 in Huntersville
- Mom of 5 slain South Carolina children sobs on stand at ex-husband's trial
- FORECAST: Short term relief from humidity before heat wave rolls in
- CMPD: Man caught moaning, peeping through woman's bedroom window
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.