GASTON COUNTY, N.C. - Interstate 85 North in Gaston County has reopened after a fatal crash closed the roadway near Bessember City Road for hours.
Police said the driver was getting on the interstate when they went off the on-ramp and crashed head on with a truck carrying a horse trailer.
Officials said the driver of the car died.
They have not identified the driver.
All motorists were being detoured off the freeway at Exit 10 – U.S. 74 East. The detour route was then to follow U.S. 74 East to U.S. 321, and then re-access I-85 north of the crash.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mother in reported kidnapping of NC baby charged with attempted murder
- Trio facing charges in murder, dismemberment of Rowan County man
- Robber injured in shootout with security guard outside Charlotte arcade
- FORECAST: Small downpour chance in metro ahead of rainy weekend
- Burke Co. man arrested in 1985 murder of well-known Hollywood TV producer
© 2019 Cox Media Group.