PINEVILLE, N.C. - Firefighters battled a fire at an abandoned building in Pineville on Saturday afternoon.
Officials said neighbors called after seeing smoke from the roof of the old Cone Mill building on Dover Street and Cone Avenue.
More than 60 firefighters contained the fire in 30 minutes.
Fire officials said their main focus was to create holes in the roof to eliminate the chance of hidden fires, which can be common in old buildings.
Investigators are working to find out what caused the fire.
“It sort of surprised me because there's no electricity in it,” said Randy Taylor, who lives nearby. “I don't know how a fire could start because it is abandoned."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'He was laying on that step': Man found shot to death outside southeast Charlotte apartments
- Missing 8-year-old Cleveland County boy reportedly found by brother sleeping under tree
- WEEKEND IN VIEW: Where to find weekend fun in the Queen City
- FORECAST: 'Winter reality check' arrives as temperatures plunge across Carolinas
- Police identify suspect accused of leading officers on 90-minute chase across Charlotte
© 2019 Cox Media Group.